Indian Studies Program
3 months ago
ABOUT THE INDIAN STUDIES PROGRAM
This program is designed to address the unique education & culturally related academic needs of American Indian and Alaska Native students (including PK), so that these students can achieve to the same challenging state performance standards expected of all students.
The program is the Department's principal vehicle for addressing the particular needs of Indian children. The Indian Education Formula Grant provides funding to support local/educational agencies in their efforts to reform elementary and secondary school programs that serve Indian students.
The programs funding is based on challenging State content standards & student performance used for all students & is designed to assist Indian students to meet those standards.
Our project objectives for the school year 2017-2018, include:
- Increase Parent Participation
- Increase School Readiness
- Increase Knowledge of Cultural Identity and Awareness
- Increase Academic Achievement
- Increase Graduation Rate
- Increase College Enrollment
- Increase School Attendance Rate
- Increase Native American / Alaska Native Language Instruction Programs
- Decrease School Dropout Rate
- Enhance Problem Solving and Cognitive Skills Development and Directly Support Skills Development of State Standards
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of a Cultural Specialist:
Maintain attendance, discipline, and academic progress data; present and instruct cultural information in collaboration with classroom teachers; implement extracurricular activities according to parameters of grant; assist with Indian Education after school activities and cultural presentations; provide instructional resource materials requested by teachers; assist in planning and production of staff development; advocate for ISP among students, parents, administration, and the community; maintain a summary of students served and activities on monthly, quarterly, and annual basis; maintain enrollment forms; perform related duties as required.
23 days ago
K-12 Native Student Success Coordinator and Grant Administrator for Title VII
Paul Marks II
John Smith III
Mark "Hans" Chester
Cultural Specialist | Tlingit Language Teacher
Patricia "Patty" McNeil
Cultural Specialist (Part-Time)
Thunder Mountain High School
Administrative Assistant (Part-Time)
- Indian Studies Program Files
- Goldbelt Heritage Foundation Curriculum
- Sealaska Heritage Institute Curriculum
- Tlingit & Haida Services
- Alaska Native Knowledge Center Curriculum
- Online Tutoring Scholarships
- Hans Chester YouTube
- Totem Pole Project & Curriculum
- "The Tlingit Language"
- Chilkat Indian Village