Nutritional Website Links
For more information regarding USDA sponsored National School Lunch Programs and National School Breakfast Programs, the following links are provided:
USDA FOOD AND NUTRITION SERVICES
National Food Service management Institute
School Nutrition Association
Alaska School Nutrition Association
Alaska Department of Education and Early Development-Child Nutrition Services
School Breakfast Program
This year the food service program is pleased to be offering breakfast at many schools. The breakfast service is offered at schools that are not already being served by a volunteer breakfast program. These schools are Juneau Community Charter School, Harborview and Mendenhall River Community Elementary Schools, and Juneau-Douglas, Thunder Mountain and Yaakoosge Daakihidi High Schools.
School breakfasts are just $1.75 for students and $2.75 for adults, including milk. Parents are encouraged to join us for breakfast - no reservation or pre-order required. If your child(ren) will be participating in the school breakfast program, there are different payment options available. You can either choose to pay with cash at the time of service, cash pre-payment at the school's front office, or by credit card online at www.parentonline.net. If you choose to pre-pay, contact your child's individual school - payments will be posted to your child’s meal account and deductions will only be made when he/she receives a meal. (All Juneau School District students have a meal account which is set up automatically at the beginning of each school year.)
School Lunch Program
- If your child(ren) will be participating in the school lunch program, there are different payment options available. School lunches are just $3.25 for students and $4.75 for adults, including an all-you-can-eat salad bar and milk. You can either choose to pay with cash at the time of service, cash pre-payment at the school's front office, or by credit card online at www.parentonline.net. If you choose to pre-pay, contact your child's individual school - payments will be posted to your child’s meal account and deductions will only be made when he/she receives a meal. (All Juneau School District students have a meal account which is set up automatically at the beginning of each school year.)
- Although it helps speed up the lunch line to pre-pay, it is not necessary to pre-order. NANA prepares meals based on past participation and does not require the District to order in advance.
- At times students pick up items from the lunch service line, reach the cashier, and realize they do not have enough cash or money on their account to pay. Although it is the parent's responsibility to make sure their child(ren) have a packed lunch or sufficient funds to purchase a meal, we do not want students to go hungry. For the 2012/2013 school year there will be a $16.25 charge limit on meal accounts for elementary and middle school students (*see note below*), this excludes high school levels. (There will be no charging at the High School grade levels at any time during the school year.) When this limit has been reached, all food items in excess of this amount will be taken away from the student at the cash register. *This policy is in effect until approximately one month prior to school end. There will be no charging allowed after this designated time (at any grade level) in order to allow sufficient time to collect on past due account balances. Lunch coordinators will contact parents as needed when students’ do not have enough money on their account.
**Please note there will be no charging at the High School grade levels. Students at this level are expected to understand the food service payment policy which is to either pre-pay or pay at the time of service. There will be no exceptions.**
- Current meal account balances are no longer available on PowerSchool. To manage your child's meal account please log onto www.parentonline.net where you will have the opportunity to make online credit card payments, check your child's meal account balance, and set up low balance email alerts. The school meal program also accepts cash at your child's school either at the front office or during meal service.
- If your child(ren) qualified for free or reduced price meals during the 2011/2012 school year, they will automatically qualify for free/reduced price meals for the first 30 operating days of the 2012/2013 school year. You will need to complete a new application and have it approved before these first 30 days expire. At the end of the 30 days, your child’s eligibility status will be changed to “paid” and the full meal price of $3.25 charged until an application is received and an eligibility determination has been made. Please allow 10 days for processing.
- For the convenience of all Juneau School District households, the school meal benefit application will be mailed to each family prior to the start of each school year. It will also be available on our website or you may apply on line at https://schoolmealapp.com. We encourage families to complete the application even if they are not sure they qualify. The school district receives additional funding for each student who is eligible for a free or reduced meal. Applications are handled in a confidential manner. A student’s eligibility information is known only by the appropriate staff that is trained to maintain this information in a confidential manner to ensure that other students, staff, and meal program participants do not know who receives a free or reduced price meal.
It is important that our program policies are clearly understood to ensure a quality program. Please contact the Food Services Office at 780-1414 or 780-1412 if you have any questions or ideas to share. We appreciate your involvement in our program.