Happy New Year! Now is the time for every eighth 8th grade student in the Juneau School District to think about which high school he or she would like to attend next year. Families of eighth grade students were sent information in the mail and via email over the Winter Break. JDHS and TMHS will be hosting information nights next week, so students and families can find out more about the programs at each school. Here is how the process works:
- Students and families are encouraged to attend High School Information Nights on January 9th and 10th 2013 at 5:30 pm at Juneau-Douglas High School and Thunder Mountain High School - both nights, both schools - to learn more about school programs. Representatives from each school will be available at both locations.
- The 2013 Guide to Choosing a High School outlines the process and includes the 8th Grade Choice Cards. Copies will be handed out at the Information Nights and will be available at middle schools the first week of January 2013. To download the guide and card, please see attachment below.
- Eighth grade students must complete a High School Choice Card to choose the school they want to attend. Cards are included in the 2013 Guide to Choosing a High School.
- Students need to get a parent or guardian signature on the choice card– PARENT/GUARDIAN SIGNATURE IS REQUIRED.
- High School Choice Cards are due to middle school offices by January 25, 2013. Students not returning cards are assigned a high school based on where they live.
- Once students have chosen a school, families will visit JDHS or TMHS to help students select courses for next year. Eighth grade famiiies will receive information about specific times to visit your school of choice by mail.
- If you have questions about high school choice, please contact your high school or middle school counseling office.